Sunday, July 22, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life

An advertisement from last week’s Sports Illustrated caught my eye as it featured our own SuperSizemore responding to questions regarding Las Vegas, titled “Vegas Overtime with Grady Sizemore”.
Since I can’t find a link to the story by Alec Morrison anywhere (and the answers are that good), here’s the transcript:

Grady Sizemore’s had his Las Vegas routine for years. All that’s changed is his mode of transportation. Sizemore, who makes his off-season home in Arizona, used to drive up each fall for a low-key weekend of dining, clubbing and observing the poolside talent. Now that he’s an All-Star outfielder with the Cleveland Indians, he can afford a plane ticket instead. During the season, the budding superstar can’t avoid crowds watching his every move. But on his Vegas jaunts he flies under the radar, preferring the close company of his buddies to the hopes and dreams (and marriage proposals) of the most ardent Indians fans.

Who’s usually your company for Vegas?
When I first got out there (to Arizona), one of my friends had a birthday around November, so it kind of became an annual trip. Now it’s usually me and my two roommates. I live with my brother and a friend of mine. And then anyone else who wants to go. We make a weekend of it.

What is it about the city that has you hooked?
There’s a lot of energy. It’s the kind of place where you can do what you want, no matter the time of day. I like seeing the shows. There are great clubs. Vegas is the kind of place where you can lose yourself for a weekend.

Do you have a certain Vegas style when you go out?
I keep it pretty casual. I’m not rockin’ a Gucci suit or anything like that. Just a nice button-down shirt and jeans.

You favor the Hard Rock pool scene. Why do you like it so much?
The opposite sex, I guess you could say (laughs). I wish I could spend more time there. If you get there early enough, you can get yourself a table or a chair and watch the scenery.

What about the club spots?
My favorite would probably be Drai’s at Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall and Saloon. Good late-night club. It’s one of the first stops we make. I also like to start off at Ghostbar, up top in the Palms. That’s one of my favorites.

What makes a good club for you?
Drai’s is at the bottom of a smaller hotel, and I didn’t know what to expect. I went in there and it was just alive, people were laid back, having a good time. I had a club scene in my mind, but this one had its own thing going on, had a good feel to it. And Ghostbar, it’s just cool to be on top of a building looking down on everybody else. They always have a good mix of people there. And the Palms is always great. It’s off the Strip a little, but it has a lot to offer.

Do you have a favorite hotel?

The last time I went, I stayed at the Palms, and I really liked it. That was my first time, and it was one of my better trips. I like the Bellagio too. And the Hard Rock, obviously – if I can get to the pool in time.

Can a 24-year-old with a chance to go 30-30 be your hero?
Methinks yes.

Also, it seems that the Victor-Cliff Lee dust-up during Saturday’s game (if you missed it - they argued on the mound, then in the tunnel, keeping their distance from each other the rest of the game prompting a players-only meeting, called by the Trotter, that lasted for about 25 minutes) could mean the end of the road for Cliff in Cleveland.

Numerous reports have Aaron Laffey being pulled out of his start after 50 pitches; with the Bisons’ manager Torey Lovullo essentially saying that Laffey was on his way to Cleveland.

The 50 pitch count is important because it puts Laffey on schedule to take Lee’s next start, meaning that either Lee is being sent down (he does have an option), being sent to the bullpen and someone else is on their way out or to the DL, or Cliff Lee is that bait to make a move.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Cy Slapnicka said...

hoynes has another reason for the short pitch count.

Paul Cousineau said...

And here is the rebuttal of Hoynes' ridiculous reasoning by someone who knows, the Bisons' beat reporter Mike Harrington:

Something's coming. Could involve Mulhern too.