Sunday, April 10, 2005

Livin' On the Edge

Well, it's never a dull day watching the Indians post 6 in the 1st, then hang on to win 7-6. Jason Davis looked OK. Every time I see him, it makes me more convinced that he belongs in the pen. Watching him blow away the Tigers in the 1st, while struggling some in other innings (particularly the 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup) proves that he would be very tough coming out of the pen for the 7th, 8th, or 9th (someday). I understand the Indians' thinking that with Davis' arm, it's better to get 5-6 innings from the flamethrower, as opposed to one; but, Davis' place in the future is out of the pen. When C.C. comes back, look for Davis to move to long relief, transitioning into a later inning pitcher as the season wears on. The bullpen looked good today, with Howry's 7th inning (Guillen, Pudge, D. Young) proving huge as Wickman let up a cheap run in the 9th.

The Tigers' starting pitching will determine where they end up in the Central. With Pudge (and his "scary looking eyebrows", as reader Michael Swytowski points out), Carlos Guillen (if only Omar would've passed that physical), and Magglio Ordonez (assuming he ever gets healthy), the lineup has great potential. Taking 2 of 3 from them in Detroit is necessary though.

Opening Day tomorrow, 3:05PM. Should be a city-wide holiday, but that's just me.

2 comments:

Cy Slapnicka said...

Okay, Wickman is making me even more uncomfortable. First we had Chicago game 3 where he was hyperventilating into a brown paper bag on the mound. Now I am reading quotes like this on espn.com, "I'm thinking, 'Here we go again,' just like everyone else..." about giving up a run in the 9th. Now I am a big fan of Wickman on my team...if we are playing anchorman and my team failed to find the quarter. Unfortunately, he's not finishing a pitcher of beer and backwash, but closing games for my beloved Tribe. I'd like a to see a little more confidence please. I missed the game due to a niece's baptism and the lingering fear of Pudge's eyebrows, so I can't comment on how he pitched. All I can do is hope he proves me wrong.

Anonymous said...

I don't see Wickman making it the season, i agree with pc, and i think j davis could be a good closer...he was money 2 years ago