Thursday, April 21, 2005

Snakebitten

Westbrook's bad luck continued last night as the Fatolo Colon shut down the Tribe's bats, running Jake's record to 0-4. This despite a 3.81 ERA, a WHIP of 1.04, and 2 complete games. Outside of his one hiccup, he's been very steady and the worm will turn for him. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

Some items of note I saw on the Tribe Website (which annoyingly asks me to download Macromedia Flash THREE times every time I go on the site):
-Tribe is last in AL in Batting Average and RBI's (on a related note, also Runs)
-Tribe is 2nd last in AL in OPS (only Jose Hernandez is over .800, at a blistering .802)
-Tribe is 2nd best in AL in team ERA (behind the ChiSox)
-Tribe is 3rd best in AL in team WHIP (behind Minnesota and ChiSox)

The bats have to turn around. Don't they? Last year, the offense cruised while the bullpen blew up. When will everything come together all at once?

On another note, the Cavs fired Jim Paxson today, giving a sense of closure to The Collapse. Watching the scores last night and hearing that the Cavs would not be in the playoffs, it made me think:

People in their 50's often say that they remember exactly where they were when JFK was killed, then a later generation knew where they were when the Challenger exploded (Miss Vercilleno's 3rd grade classroom).
As a long suffering Cleveland sports fan, there are certain events that I can pinpoint where I was. Though they certainly pale in social significance to the events listed above, I can clearly remember where I was for The Drive, The Fumble, and The Shot (all in my old house's family room), Game 7 (236 Kiefaber, Dayton OH), and when the Ping Pong ball turned up for the Cavs to get LeBron (in my current kitchen, listening to the TV in the other room). I don't think The Collapse makes this list. Are there any events that I'm missing? Where were you when these things happened?
After The Shot happened, I ran up to my bedroom to tear down all of my Jordan posters and ripped up my Air Jordan Flight Club Membership Card. After Paul Alten told me that the Browns had moved (in my freshman year dorm room, Sheehy Hall 3rd floor), I tore my Browns shirts and posters apart in a fit of rage.

As I write this the bases are loaded in the first against Washburn (a solid lefty, something we've struggled against). Hernandez just hit bases-clearing double. God, I love this game. There's some run support K-Mill.

4 comments:

Cy Slapnicka said...

inquiring minds want to know, were you wearing the browns shirt when you tore it up, macho man?

i saw an awesome stat today, Diop did not make a free throw this year. given only 5 attempted, bu .000 FT% is just awful. i'll see you in hell Pax.

Anonymous said...

i'm trying to think of some important happy cleveland moments (not easy), but i do remember a regular season game against the mighty cowboys where eric turner stuffed the potential game-winning touchdown as time expired. we were at Billy Kavanoughs and when we won, paul ran down the snow covered streat wearing only his underpants. we spent the next 3 hours singing our new rendition of a grateful dead song "Browns will survive/get by"...the browns were stolen from cleveland shortly after

Anonymous said...

i'm trying to think of some important happy cleveland moments (not easy), but i do remember a regular season game against the mighty cowboys where eric turner stuffed the potential game-winning touchdown as time expired. we were at Billy Kavanoughs and when we won, paul ran down the snow covered streat wearing only his underpants. we spent the next 3 hours singing our new rendition of a grateful dead song "Browns will survive/get by"...the browns were stolen from cleveland shortly after

Anonymous said...


IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT IT’S MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.
Those eyes! This sphynx cats for sales rare Russian hairless breed goes by a few names including Russian , Russian Hairless, Don Sphynx, and Don Hairless.
hairless cats for sale Medium-sized, loyal, loving, affectionate, playful and smart are just a few of the reasons this is a much-loved breed. toy poodle for sale Fun fact: unlike the sphynx which gets its hairlessness from a recessive genetic mutation, gets its hairlessness from a dominant gene. https://www.sphynxcatsale.com/