Sunday, July 10, 2005

Damn Yankees

Why is it that it's much more painful to watch Yankees cross home plate more so than any other team? I cringe every time I see anybody in that lineup (which is truly incredible) trot up to the box. It's funny though how to Indians' fans this is one of our big "rivalries", while to the Yankees, this is like a series against the Royals.

Who is the Indians big rival? The Twins? The White Sox? Let me know what you think.

I was at a wedding last night, where I had a conversation with a guy who thinks that the Indians are on the cusp of being a great team. The way that they play the "elite" of the AL (Chicago, Twins, Yankees, Red Sox) shows that they're close, but not there yet. The always play those teams tough, but always seem to get eked out in the end (usually in one-run games).

What is VERY encouraging is the fact that they beat up on bad teams. Looking at their second half schedule (as has been noted by ESPN's Buster Olney), the Tribe faces Kansas City, Tampa Bay, and Seattle 31 times in their last 74 games! One can only hope while the AL East beats each other up, the Indians can quietly take care of business against the dregs of the AL.

I don't want to dwell too much on the Yankees series, but I did have a lousy husband moment over the weekend (due to Tribe Fever). Between the wedding and the reception, I forced my bride to sit in a smoky, hole-in-the-wall bar to catch the game, then sit in the car in the parking lot outside the reception until the end of an inning.

It was reminiscent of the Simpsons episode when Homer sues the Seafood Restaurant on their "All You Can Eat" Policy. What reminded me of the situation is Marge on the stand, testifying that after being kicked out of the restaurant, Homer had taken her to the dock to go fishing. As we sat with the Saturday afternoon crowd at this awful bar, pounding down Miller Lites, I felt a little like Homer at the end of the dock, fishing pole in hand.

Pending the result of today's game (it's currently 6-3 bad guys), it looks like the Tribe will hit the All Star Break at 47-41, just as I had hoped for (after going 8-7 in the last 15) on June 26th. Though the record certainly could've been higher, considering the way they started in Boston and Baltimore, I'm pleased with the record. This team needs the break too.

Watching Brandon Phillips last night reminded me why I didn't like him the last time he was up. He's cocky with no real good reason to be cocky. He was hitting .250 in Buffalo, yet walks around the dugout like a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I have no problem using him as trade bait (to the Reds, who need a 2B?) as part of a package. I'll take Jhonny P., with his even demeanor and solid, if unspectacular, play any day over B-Phil. Is Peralta the second best hitter on this team?

The suspension of Rocky Betancourt should surprise nobody. How a former SS, cut by the Red Sox, suddenly pulls off a mid-90s fastball is eerily reminiscent of the Juan Rincon "Rags to Riches" story. I still hope that Rocky is a part of the pen, but Shapiro's written statement didn't sound like he was too happy with the Rock. The pen in Buffalo is stacked (with Cabrera, since called up, Tadano, Robbins, Diaz, and even Cruceta and Brown) and all are a quick trip westbound on I-90 from helping out the parent club.

I'll work up some statistical analysis for the All Star Break, along with getting up an updated Depth Chart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PC's new depth chart uploaded.

from the latest sports guy...

The Brady Anderson Award for "Best Freddie Lynn Impersonation"
To Cleveland's Grady Sizemore -- when the Red Sox played them a few weeks ago, he reminded me of Lynn more than any young player I can remember, and then Peter Gammons mentioned the same thing so I knew I wasn't crazy. There's just something about the way he carries himself. Freddie Lynn always looked like the coolest guy on the field. So does Sizemore.

Anonymous said...

As our tribe gets a well-needed break, I'd like to hear the speculation out of Cleveland regarding the Cavs next move, that lithuaiain point guard seems like the logical choice now that Z is on board, but the names Udonis Haslem and Stephen Hunter have been heard as a replacement for, or insurance for when Gooden gets disinterested and plays like a girl. There are also two Former BGSU point guards available, which would be FALCON AWESOME!
Cy, how about more movie reviews where the women aren't "bundled up for winter"?